Friday 28 November 2008

Processing Time

Although we returned home to England nearly a week ago, I am still coming to terms with some of the stories I heard and situations I saw on our delegation. I am expecting my experiences are going to take a long time to process. As I try and return to ‘normal life’ by catching up with friends, returning to work and sorting through my emails I often find myself drifting into memories of particular people we met during our time in Palestine, and the stories they told us.

A number of emails I received during the delegation are helping me through this – reminding me of what we did, who we met and organisations whose work I want to keep up with. At the moment these seem insurmountable. However, as I slowly start to sort my way through them, a link sent to me by someone we met stands out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSlQ98r5QXo .

The link takes you to a film made by an ex-IDF solider who was asked to make a film about his experiences. It is truly mind-blowing and creates more questions, than answers. I am starkly aware that nothing we saw was as bad as described on the video. However I was very aware of the harsh reality during the delegation, and even more so now. I hope some of you will take the 25 minutes to watch this video. It really is worth every second.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Delegates

Thank you for posting your thoughtful and insightful interpretations of your experience in Israel/Palestine. I hope you're managing to find the time and space to process everything that you witnessed.

My name's James and I'm a UK citizen, resident in Bath, considering attending one of IFPB delegations to Israel/Palestine.

I was wondering whether it might be possible for me to find out a little more about your experience of the delegation by email or phone. I'm especially interested in learning if/how you plan to use what you have learnt to raise awareness of the these issues.

I appreciate that right now, you're just catching your breath, so of course, there is no hurry. If/when you do find time, however, my email address is mettadesigns@gmail.com.

If there's anything you think I might do to support your work at this stage, please also let me know.

with best wishes

James

Anonymous said...

Hi James,

Thanks for your wishes and of course we'd be more than happy to feed back to you about our experiences and try to answer any questions you have. I think it may be easiest by phone. The FoR office number is 01865 250 781 and i am in most days (except Thursday and Friday this week). Do you want to call at a time which is good for you?

In peace and best wishes, Martha

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Would it be ok for me to call you at around 1-2pm on Monday 8th?

with best wishes

James

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Would it be ok for me to call you between 1-2 pm on Monday 8th Dec?

with best wishes

James

Martha said...

Hi James,

I'm really sorry your comments have only just been moderated, and so i've only just got them. I'm in the office today and tomorrow all day (i hope) if you have time to ring then!

Many thanks, Martha